Hands up – Who doesn’t love chocolate?
If you’re a chocolate lover, like me, what’s more indulgent than occasionally treating yourself to lovely a slice of chocolate cake?
When it comes to cake, I’m an expert at eating it, but making it? I find that a little harder. Recently, spurred by my love of the Great British Bake Off, I’ve been searching high and low for some gorgeous, but simple cake recipes; ones that even I can tackle without messing up. Here’s a perfect example! The Internet is a fantastic place full of recipes, so here’s my take on this one-bowl chocolate sponge recipe that I found on All Recipes. Little fact: apparently this is very similar to the Hershey’s chocolate cake recipe!
This recipe is quite quick and easy to make. Preparing the ingredients takes around 20 minutes. The cakes take around 30-35 minutes to bake. So, you can have your very own moist chocolate treat in less than an hour!
This recipe makes two chocolate sponges. You can add frosting in between and sandwich them together, or eat them separately, like me. (I did share them though! Don’t worry!) The cake(s) should serve 24, so there’s plenty to go around!
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsps of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsps of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- A cup of boiling water
- Grease two baking tins.
- Preheat your oven to 175C (or 350F)
- Add the dry parts of the mixture to your bowl.
- Create a dent in the middle.
- Add the wet ingredients, except the hot water.
- Start mixing.
- Gradually add the water to the mix.
- When it’s finished mixing, pour into the two separate tins.
- Pop it in the oven for 30-35 minutes!
- When it’s ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
If you decide to make this, let us know by tweeting us a picture!