This lovely, easy Bubble and Squeak recipe is by my Dad. Whenever he says he’s going to make them, it’s definitely something to look forward to! The recipe involves using cheese, leek and potatoes. It’s quite quick and easy to make. And the best thing? They’re really tasty and moreish!
You might’ve noticed that we’re all about the winter warmer recipes at The Weekend Edition right now, with Amy’s tomato soup recipe yesterday and now this lovely bubble and squeak today! Now that everything’s suddenly turned much colder this week, we’re reaching for all those recipes we normally rely on to keep us cosy and warm; like this one! (After all, proper comfort food does wonders for warming you up, doesn’t it?) These bubble and squeak are lovely and crispy on the outside, but soft, smooth and cheesy on the inside.
Let’s get on to the Bubble & Squeak recipe itself then!
- 2 medium-sized potatoes,
- 1 leek,
- 2 ounces of grated cheese,
- A knob of butter,
- Salt, pepper & paprika,
- Oil for frying.
- Boil the potatoes and leek until they’ve gone soft.
- Drain and then mash them using butter.
- Add the grated cheese to the mixture.
- Add some seasoning (mustard works really well here!)
- Set the mixture aside to cool for around 30 mins.
- Once it’s cool, heat some oil in a frying pan.
- Shape the potato and leek mixture into patties (by hand) that are around 2cm thick.
- When the oil is hot enough, add the patties to the pan and fry them for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until they’re golden brown in colour.
They go really well with some vegetables at the side, or as a side dish to most other dishes. Or you could just do what we did after photographing these and scoff them on their own!
If you decide to make this, let us know in the comments or on Twitter!